Monday, January 25, 2010

I Girl, I Boy


In case you remember an early post about our toddler gender confusion. The saga continues and ends here and now. I have abbreviated a word, mostly so that it doesn't mess up everyone's filtering. Hopefully this story doesn't offend anyone, but I think it's kind of cute.

I have continued to try to explain to Henry that he was a boy, but with three sisters, this concept has been a difficult one.

One morning, I am dressing to Henry, and once again explaining that he was a boy because he had a p----.

"Mom," he insists, "Jackie has a p----."

"No she doesn't," I reply.

Henry stands up and starts toward Jackie, who is listening to the conversation. "Jackie, do you have a p----?"

Jackie immediately and unabashedly pulls down her pants and shows him. It's like a light turns on--Henry's face brightens up, the darkness of confusion dissipates. "Oh, I boy." And that's that.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Henry has told me at preschool that he was a girl before and I would just say, "no, you're a boy." He'd look at me and shake his head like I was crazy... :-) Glad you got into the true "mechanics" of it--that just wouldn't have gone over well in preschool!!

Amazon Mama said...

Actually, I've gotten into the true mechanics many times--it just took a long time to sink in.