Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Tooth Fairy Disfunction

Our family is completely disfunctional . . . but I would hope that somewhere out there, someone has the exact same problem we do . . .

The tooth fairy never comes the same night someone loses a tooth.  It always takes at least several nights, sometimes a week, sometimes more than a week.  Once there was a tooth that wasn't visited for an entire month.

But you know, as I tell the kids, the tooth fairy has a lot of people to visit around the whole world.

Jackie lost her tooth Sunday.

Excited, she put it in a bag and put it under her pillow.

Monday morning rolled around, and of course, no tooth fairy.  Jackie came to me, "Mom, the tooth fairy didn't come."

Me, in my best matter-of-fact voice:  "Well, you know, Jackie . . . um . . . the tooth fairy has a lot of people to visit!  All around the world."

Jackie:  "Oh, I know, Mom."

I guess I have her trained well.  I think she was disappointed, but my kids all know it takes a while.

Tuesday morning rolled in.

Jackie:  "Mom, the tooth fairy didn't come."

Me:  "I'm sure she's coming.  She has a lot of people to visit!"

"I know Mom. But Mom, there's more than one tooth fairy.  They're all over the world."

My answer:  "Oh. . . well . . . yes, maybe so.  But even if there's one tooth fairy for the entire United States, that's still lots of kids to visit."

Jackie:  Giggle, giggle.

Whew.

Tonight Morgan, my 9-year-old, came to me after Jackie went to sleep.  "Mom, don't forget the tooth fairy."

"Ah shoot," I said, turning to Matthew.  "Do you have a dollar?"

"Uh-oh," he answered.  "No."

Morgan piped up, "Mom, I have a dollar.  I"ll pay the tooth fairy if you'll pay me back.  Can I put it under the pillow please?"

Is it normalcy or total family disfunction when the 9-year-old has to do tooth fairy duty because of forgetful parents.  Who knows.  You may have the same problem when you have four kids some day.

2 comments:

Weekend Warrior said...

That would totally be the SAME EXACT scenario at our house. giggle giggle. :) Sean had three teeth in a bag just last week that I had forgotten for well over a month....and he just kept adding teeth to it. Just yesterday Jenna lost her top front tooth and Sean pulled out a loose canine. Well, they decided that if they slept in the same bed the toothfairy would have less work to do and perhaps would come that very night. Fortunately for me, the TF remembered :)

cheyney webb said...

Your blog is such a treat! THANK YOU THANK YOU. It really makes my day.