Saturday, August 6, 2011

Venus Fly Trap

On the way out the door, I discovered this cup on the porch rail.  


It was a What in the world? moment.  I believe that most parents have many of these moments.  When I questioned the kids, Jackie (7) displayed a knowing smile.  

"Mom, it's a Venus Fly Trap," she confidently explained.   

"Hmmm . . . , " I responded.  Wondering what the tiny balls were, I asked, "What is in your Venus Fly Trap?"

In a sing-song voice, Jackie proudly disclosed her secret recipe:  "Some mouthwash . . . a bit of toothpaste . . . water . . . some air freshener . . . fish food . . . soap.  That's it."  Pause.  She enthusiastically adds with a nod of her head, "The bugs are addicted to the smell."


Funny. . . . we've been talking about Venus Fly Traps.  The kids want to plant some.  We all decided that it would be a good idea to plant them near the garbage can.  But why plant one, when you can make one, right?

No comments: