Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Fibber Island Musical Chairs

Anika and Jackie are gone at activity day girls, and Henry is asleep. Jackie brought down a portable CD player to our family room and has turned on a kids CD by They Might Be Giants. She is playing and replaying a funny song called Fibber Island. I think there's a moral to it--maybe something about not lying.

She has arranged a number of stuffed animals, mostly Webkinz in a circle with a chair in the middle. On the chair are a dog and a lion. Matthew is sitting on the couch. He gives me a silly grin that says, "Gotta see this--cute."

I sit and observe for a few minutes. Jackie starts the music and between beats announces different words, most of which I couldn't hear. But I did hear repeatedly, "hot chocolate." After about three of these words, she would turn off the music. And someone would have to leave the circle.

Interrupting, I ask, "Jackie, what are you playing?" Happily, she replies, "Musical chairs, Mom." I regret doing this, because it seems that now musical chairs is over. Now she is playing Anika's recorder for the animals.

I asked Jackie what her animal's names are. Some I have heard before and forgotten.

Hippy (a hippo)

Jasmine (dog)

Dolphne (Dolphin)

Love heart (pink frog covered with purple and fuschia hearts)

Hot Chocolate (a brown Clydesdale)--"Or was that marshmallow . . . you know, he should really be called marshmallow because of his big furry feet.

(Bear with red velvet Christmas hat)--" Berry doesn't have a name, so I'm naming him Berry." Oh, excuse me. That's probably Beary, though I think Berry should be perfectly acceptable.

No comments: