Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Love at Home


It's cold. Dreadful or exhilarating, I haven't decided yet. Probably both.

In North Carolina, we use heat pumps to warm our homes. Though I just spent a few seconds skimming over a wikipedia article, I haven't bothered to really understand how they work. But Matthew tells me they're quite inefficient when the temperature drops.

After a $500 heating bill last month, we purchased a couple of electric blankets and a space heater and turned the temperature down to 60 degrees. The beauty of this is that I was cold before the electric blanket, even with the house temp at 70 degrees. But now I'm toasty warm all night. It's wonderful.

The electric blanket is popular in our house. I'm not sure a box of chocolate would attract the children as much. Unfortunately our queen size bed fits myself and about three children, tightly. Matthew is the one who "rolls over" and out of bed.

So there I was this morning with three children all cuddled up in the cozy electric blanket bed. And our conversation went like this:

Henry: "I big. I [am] like Morgan."
Morgan: "Do you want to be like Daddy? Do you want to have kids?"
Henry, wrapping his arms around Morgan: "Oh yes. When I big, you my best friend."
Jackie, musing: "Mom, can people marry brothers and sisters?"

1 comment:

cheyney webb said...

Your blog posts are such a treat to me. I love each one.