Saturday, June 4, 2011

Amazon . . .

That's me with the short hair in the air.

I sat tonight on my computer and thought that it was about time I write on my blog again.  So I turned to Morgan, who was sitting intently beside me, and said, "Let's look for a picture to write about."  

I've had some questions and comments about my blogger name--Amazon Mama.  Truthfully, I really tried to come up with a cute idea to match the other bloggers out there, but only Amazon, an old nickname, came to mind.   Amazon was a short-lived nickname I had in high school--by short lived, I mean, I think only a few volleyball games.   Some of our high school boys would yell out "Amazon," or something like that, when I hit the ball.  

This didn't stick past volleyball season . . . except in my own mind.  I fancied myself a really tough girl, a warrior . . . an Amazon . . .

Yes . . . you can laugh.  Please do.  It's so great for your stomach muscles . . . 

The Amazons are a piece of greek mythology--a group of warrior women.  You can read about them here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazons  I find the mythology fascinating.  I'm not a fan of war, or fighting, but there's something about their ferociousness I always liked.  And I could relate doing some of the things considered less feminine--working with a chainsaw, mowing lawns, pushing a wheelbarrow, weightlifting.  To this day, I'd rather mow the lawn with a push mower than bake, sew, or clean.    

The funny thing is that I sometimes feel I was a much tougher volleyball player than mother.  Motherhood is much more difficult than anything I've ever done before.  So I think I applied the name to myself because motherhood is tough, and I'd better be as tenacious as an Amazon to survive.  


4 comments:

Jess, Andrew and Family said...

Motherhood is so tough! The funny thing is that I used to think I was tough in high school, and I once admitted this to a group of friends once and they couldn't stop laughing. Apparently I wasn't very intimidating. :)

Amazon Mama said...

I guess I'd better be a little more specific! By tough--I mean physically tough--weight lifting, etc. I was really nice . . . my friends would probably laugh too.

The Mormon Monk said...

Hmmm. . . you know that Amazon women cut off one of their breasts so that they could shoot their bows more accurately, right?

Amazon Mama said...

Thanks a lot Mormon Monk ;) I was intentionally avoiding that part.